I've had the horrible realisation that tonight/yesterday (depending on where and when you watch it) is the final episode of Game of Thrones Season 5! Already I'm heartbroken because what else can I watch on Monday nights? Or, more realistically, binge watch until I am over the season finale? I'm going to attempt to name a few series that you can look in to watching next that are different to Game of Thrones but just as absorbing.
1. Peaky Blinders. Season 1 is available on Netflix. but I bought the good old fashioned boxsets (Season 1 & 2) for this one. Set in Birmingham, England post-WWI, you see the lives of the notorious gang the Peaky Blinders as they try and manage their illegal business with the coppers breathing down their neck. Gritty and seriously good telly with the added bonus that Cillian Murphy plays our main protagonist Tommy Shelby. Season 2 is also extraordinary with guest appearances from Tom Hardy. Definitely one to get in to.
2. True Detective. A very short series to get in to, but insanely good. This is about two cops who are chasing a serial killer but the story follows the investigation along three different timelines. It's kind of like a cold case file but with new evidence surfaced that requires the cops (played spectacularly by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson) to look back over the case. It's good, a little bit of a slow start but it ramps up and the story progresses.
3. Orange is the New Black. Available to watch on Netflix, with the brand spanking new season 3 which I am very excited about. I feel like this is an obvious one because I know this one has made waves and it feels like everyone is watching it. So if you haven't already, then get on it. You'll find yourself cheering for the underdog and getting so attached to the supporting characters more so than the main characters sometimes. Such an awesome series, funny and heartbreaking at the same time. One you can easily binge on, I know I watched the first season in just a couple of days (I want to say two, but maybe three at a push)
4. Daredevil. Available on Netflix and one of those ones where I feel people will get around to watching it eventually if they haven't already. Matt Murdock is a lawyer by day, masked vigilante by night. I know there is a little caution when it comes to Daredevil, we all remember the 2003 film? Well I can't because it made no lasting impression on me at all. This series definitely makes up for it, I promise you won't be disappointed.
5. Sense 8. Another Netflix original. Truth be told, this is one I've not yet started but I'm very excited about ever since I watched the trailer. 8 strangers in 8 cities all connected. It looks thrilling and original. I can't find it now but I'm sure its from the minds that brought you the Matrix.
There are so many more I wanted to add to the list: Breaking Bad, American Horror Story, Hannibal etc but I think they are big enough that to mention them would result in a "no, duh" kind of reaction. A lot of these feel like police drama which I didn't think I was a big fan of, clearly I like upholding the law and seeing what happens to those who don't. What will you be watching next?